Wednesday, September 02, 2009

Project 10 Pan

Concept is simple: You don't buy anything until you have used up ten things in your stash.

This is mainly for make-up, but since I don't wear any, I do this for my "Watsons Stuff". Last year I was pregnant, and when you have that baby bump, you just have to check the ingredients of the things you put on your skin. Among the ingredients a pregnant woman should avoid are:

  • Parabens: Heavily used preservatives, they are found in 13,200 cosmetic and skincare products. Studies linked them with cancer because of their hormone-disrupting qualities which mimic estrogen and can disrupt the body’s endocrine system.




• Mineral oil, paraffin, and petrolatum: They coat the skin like plastic, thus clogging pores and creating a toxin buildup. They can slow cellular development, creating earlier signs of aging. Worse, disrupting hormonal activity, they’re suspected to cause cancer.



• Sodium laurel or lauryl sulfate (a.k.a. sodium laureth sulfate: Found in over 90 percent of personal care products, they break down the skin’s moisture barrier, causing dry skin and premature aging.



• Acrylamide: Found in many facial creams, it’s been linked to mammary tumors.



• Propylene glycol: Found in common cosmetic moisturizers and fragrance oils, it may cause dermatitis and skin irritation. It’s been associated with kidney and liver problems.



• Phenol carbolic acid: Found in many lotions and skin creams, it can cause paralysis, convulsion, coma, and even death from respiratory failure.



• Dioxane: Hidden in ingredients like polysorbates and laureth, it’s common in personal care products. Easily absorbed through the skin, it’s carcinogenicity was first reported in 1965 and confirmed in studies, such as that of the National Cancer Institute, in 1978.



• Toluene: Made from petroleum and coal tar, and found in most synthetic fragrances, it may be very poisonous. Chronic exposure to toluene has been linked to anemia, lowered blood cell count, liver or kidney damage. Warning to pregnant women: It may affect a developing fetus.


Anyway, I prefer frequent quick showers over long baths (perhaps due to the fact that I have a little baby at home).  And I hoard on soaps, and body wash.

My list to empty now includes:

1.  Body Shop Shea Butter Foaming Bath

This is part of my trying-to-be-stretchmark-free-regimen during my pregnancy. I've used 3-4 bottles of this in my entire baby bump days, making my husband think this is the line I love the most from Body Shop. The last bottle I have, he gave me as anniversary gift.

A bottle costs 695php.





2. St. Ives Oatmeal and Shea Butter Body Wash

Again this is part of my attempt at being stretchmark free. It costs only 250php.