Monday, May 27, 2013

Cost of Having a Baby



1. Everything starts with a home pregnancy test.

Splurge: 120php in Mercury Drug ~ (The brand is Medic, the commercialized one that comes in a box.)
Save: 40php-60php Pregnancy Test Kits that comes in sachets, sold in Watsons, usually in the cashier counter beside the condoms, lubricants and candies.

Mine worked well at the 60php-Save. I just can't remember which of the many sachet-brands I used.







That's a faint positive. But positive as well. I always have a stash of these sachet-pregnancy test kits at home since I am not using any contraceptives and knowing that I am pregnant at its early early days is beneficial for both of us.


Assuming I used the 50php pregnancy kit sachet, and I used 2 to be sure of the result:

TOTAL as of #1:  100php

2.  Pre-Natal Vitamins Before Conceiving

Even before conceiving, it is advisable to drink Folic Acid. This is to avoid neural tube defects in the baby.

I did not track my vitamin consumption, but ideally, three months before conceiving a woman should be preparing her body for pregnancy. This means stop the bad habits ~ smoking, drinking, sleeping late. She should start treating her body as if she were already pregnant.

Save: I buy myself Folart which costs 6php each + Generic Ferrous Sulfate Fersulfate from United Home, 100 tablets at 100php, I think.
(6php x 90days) + 100php = 640php
Splurge: Sometimes when I have extra money I buy Iberet with Folic Acid which costs 17php each.
17 x 90days = 1530php

I can't remember how many times I bought myself Folart and how many times I bought Iberet with Folic. I am assuming 45 days of Save and 45 Days of Splurge:

TOTAL as of  #2:  1185php

3. First Ob-Gyne Visit

Sadly in this pregnancy I don't have Van Breda, THE insurance ~ and don't ever remind me why, I'll just cry. Haha. Anyway I have insurance from my husband to cover the Ob-Gyne Consultations.

I visited an accredited OB-Gyne of Lacson and Lacson. Her clinic is in Health Dev in Ateneo which is supposed to be convenient for me. And I did not pay anything for the consultation fee.

I have had three Consultations with her in my first trimester. She gave me a prescription of pre-natal vitamins, gave me a doctor's request for Transvaginal Ultrasound, and a series of routinary tests which include getting my blood and getting my urine.

The Health Dev Clinic in Ateneo does not have a Laboratory so when I got home I searched for Clinics/Laboratories which offers these. And that's when I realized Ateneo's Lacson and Lacson Insurance Policy does not cover Maternity and maternity related expenses.

Laboratory Tests and Transvaginal Ultrasound:

Save: Neomedica Health Services Inc. in Congressional Avenue, Quezon City for the following rates:
125php CBC
90php Urine
190php HBSau
110php VDRL

750php Transvaginal Ultrasound

Splurge: I remember calling the Satellite The Medical City Clinic in Trinoma, their Transvaginal Ultrsound costs 1,800php. Same goes for The Medical City in Waltermart, Munoz.

I had mine in NeoMedica. I found out about them in Sulit.Com.ph, surprisingly. Make sure you call first, their number is 9296055 and they are located in Congressional Avenue cor Mindanao Avenue. What I like there is they have parking space without charging anything.


First Trimester Vitamins and Milk as recommended by the first Ob-Gyne:

Folic Acid 1 tab @ 7.75 x 1 day x  30 days = 232.50php

Preggy Milk, one cup per day

TOTAL as of  #3: 2682.50 php

4. Second Ob-Gyne Visit: Feeling Heavy

What's not good about clinics which does not have the complete package is that after results of your Lab Tests are done, you have to painstakingly schedule another consultation, drive and go back to the doctor so that they can see the results.



 





This time I was already feeling heavy. And we saw that I have Subchrionic Hemorrhage. Whatever that means, I just feel heavy. So she prescribed Duphaston for me:

3 times a day @58.75php each for 30 days : 5287.50php







Cecilia is studying in Child Study Center in Miriam College, and her Pediatrician is also in Health Dev.

TOTAL as of #4: 7970 php

5. Third Ob-Gyne Visit

I was still feeling heavy so I went back to her, and she prescribed Duphaston again:

3 times a day @58.75php each for 30 days : 5287.50php


I also asked how much an Elective Cesarian costs. She gave me an estimate of 100,000 for Cesarian, but still insisted that I go on a normal delivery. I learned that she is not with St. Lukes's, where I want to give birth.

Looks like she's not getting me. 


TOTAL as of #5: 13,257.50php


6. First My-Own Ob-Gyne Visit

In my second trimester I decided to go back to my old OB-Gyne because I feel more comfortable with her, she knows my history (and how much pain I can tolerate = ZERO). She's not accredited with Lacson and Lacson, so I have to pay her consultation fee of 600php.

Plus 50php parking in St. Luke's QC since she does not have any clinic hours in Healthway, SM North  where I used to consult with her.

She prescribed my Second Trimester Pre-Natal Vitamins:

Hemarate 1 tab @_____ 1 x Day  for 90 days = _____php
Caltrate 1 tab @_____ 3 x Day for 90 days = _____php
OB Smart 1 tab @ ____ 1 x Day for 90 days = _____php

Preggy Milk, one cup per day.

And she wanted another Ultrasound for baby. I told her I did not have insurance this time so I'll do the Pelvic Ultrasound in NeoMedica. I paid 800php for the Neo Medica Pelvic Ultrasound.

TOTAL as of # 5: ______php

7. Unsuccessful Ob-Gyne Visit

I wasted gas and 50php parking fee since I arrived late. She already left for St. Luke's Global City in Taguig. (Gas Expenses in a different household category)

TOTAL as of #6: ______php

8.  Ob-Gyne Visit

It took me more than a month to go back to her since I prefer staying at home and sleeping. (and all other reasons)

 I decided I wanted to give birth in St. Luke's Global City in Taguig, so I might as well have my check us there. And yes, I will religiously go back to her starting now.

600php Consultation Fee
800php Pelvic Ultrasound right inside her office.

50php parking fee

TOTAL as of #8:  _______php

9.  Pregnancy Milk

I don't like drinking preggy milk. But I have to. I will always update this number, as I have not decided what brand I like. I have tried a few:

824.50php Anmum Chocolate Big Can 800g

I had a very big rat (rodent) Rat Problem in January. That rat scared us - he manages to climb the window to go inside the house at night.

So I had to throw this big can of Anmum away. Plus clear the pantry of everything it can eat. Good thing it was a one night thing.



307php for 350g Nestle Mom and Me Milk Vanilla . Much cheaper but, this is the worst Pregnancy Milk that I have tasted. It has a weird (malansa) after taste. Still I finished the box, drinking it as if I were drinking Ginebra and water as chaser. (Gin Bulag).


TOTAL as of #9: _________php

10. Stretchmarks Creams

Yes I have stretchmarks and will continue to have stretchmarks but I still choose to spend on my tummy.

750php The Body Shop Cocoa ButterMoisture Stick

Palmers
Palmers











No comments:

Post a Comment