Friday, November 12, 2010

Coaching Culture

I said I will resign. But I never did. Maybe because I like its coaching culture. I haven't been with them that long to really see if this culture is just a facade (in the same way government people say they are transparent, honest and that  they "work for the people"). Maybe I'm just with the right people that's why I am feeling this. Nonetheless, I like how everyone treats everyone. Generally, of course -- I've met the worst kind of people as well, but I'm not getting into that.

I like how goals and objectives are measured in such an objective manner that even something as subjective as saying something in your own words has its own formula. And even saying sorry. I like that targets are a simple yes or no, and if you're not aligned with this kind of thing, maybe we should let you go. And I was, for the longest time, and perhaps still am one of those who still get a No for so many things. And I like it here because for all the Yes and No's I get, somebody (a boss, a friend, a person from another department, or whoever) will bring it to my attention -- formally by calling me to his desk, casually over yosi breaks, jokingly, and in so many manners. But you get coached everyday. You get to coach someone everyday. I like its coaching culture.

Coaching strikes a balance between reinforcing what is going well, enhancing what needs to be improved and developing people where they are committed to grow. In coaching cultures, people feel part of the larger whole -- they are part of one team.

To all my friends who might have forgotten how it feels like to love what you wake up for each day (or night) because you have been typing "Hi Team" for the longest time, wala lang. I don't intend to write something intelligent here. I just want to let you know that I'm thanking you when you coached me. And I'm still here.

No comments:

Post a Comment