Monday, June 02, 2014

How to wash cloth diapers


I chose to cloth diaper my second daughter J. When I was still pregnant I equipped myself with information on different nappy systems and wash routines so I can exclusively cloth diaper her. There are a lot to choose from, and I have tried different nappies on Baby J. Now that she is 10 months old, I have bought, used and destashed a lot of nappies that did not work for me for different reasons: "too expensive and I do not know why I even bought it", "too many of this brand", "boyish print, I have a baby girl"

I have not bought any disposable diaper since I gave birth in August of 2013. My baby is now 10 months. I want the barest minimum but working nappy system for Baby J so she now owns only 24 pockets and 48pcs of inserts.

Wash routines may change as the baby grows. Now that J is 10 months and she eats solids, we strip wash all her nappies once at the end of each month. We wash nappies daily since I am not comfortable leaving them dirty for more than 24 hours.

For nappies with pee: in the sink we prewash with running water (both inserts and pockets) so they wont get stinky. And leave them in an open laundry hamper. Most moms recommend hanging the nappies to dry before wash day, but I can't seem to do it in terms of logistics. The sink is inside the house and the sampayan is outside, in the garage and it is too much work for yaya or me to hang them outside. Remember, baby just took a bath/diaper change and it is more important to look after a crawling baby. excuses. excuses. excuses.

For nappies with poop: using a bidet, drop all solids and poop in the toilet, then pre wash. This must be immediately done.

At the end of the day we have around 6-7 nappies all pre washed.

We wash everything in the morning just before both kids wake up:

First cycle is rinse cycle for 3 minutes, drain water.
Wash cyle for 15 minutes using 2 tablespoons of detergent
Rinse cycle for 3 minutes, drain water
Rinse cycle for 3 minutes, drain water
Rinse in a batya before hanging to dry.

It is very important to rinse the nappies very well and to use as little detergent as possible since these may cause build up and make the nappies stink or leak.

No fabric conditioner even if the inserts feel dry. Anyway these inserts do not touch the baby's bum directly.



No comments:

Post a Comment